Thursday, July 30, 2009

Le Grand Souk

Every summer we have a three day Music Festival (Le Grand Souk) here in our small town Ribérac, which I have taken part in as a volenteer helper for several years now (reader's of my blog might remember this from last year). It is always great fun in spite of the loads of work there is to do - starting in the morning at 9, working until 3 or even 4 at night and then off again at 9! Although Riberac is only a tiny town lost somewhere in "La France profonde" (deep France), the organizers of the festival, the "centre culturel", always manage to get really good groups from all over the world, which has made this festival quite well known and appreciated. During the last years it has grown and developed mainly into a Rock Festival for a younger audience, who come by thousands from near and far and camp together on a site close by - it's sooo much fun! Anyway, it has inspired me to paint a few scenes of the musicians on stage and here's the first one. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly who was who - there were so many groups playing all day and all night long...

Le Grand Souk by Liza Hirst

oil on canvas panel - Öl auf Malplatte - huile sur carton entoilé
15 cm x 15 cm / 5,9" x 5,9"
sold - verkauft - vendu

Here's a detail:

Le Grand Souk, Detail, by Liza Hirst

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

HI Liza,

I love this painting, and I bet it was so much fun being there.

xoxoxoxoxoBarbara

Liza Hirst said...

I am pleased you like it because I do, too. It was fun being there and it is fun doing this series!