Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Menora

Menora by Liza Hirst

oil on canvas panel - Öl auf Malplatte - huile sur carton entoilé
15 cm x 15 cm / 5,9" x 5,9"
sold - verkauft - vendu

This painting is somewhat confusing in more than one way. First of all, I am not jewish nor an alcoholic. I received this menora as a gift many years ago and like it very much and I'm a fan of sparkling and elegant decanters, love the colours of the liquids in them but hardly ever use them!
Secondly, you might wonder what that green-yellow square is in the middle - well, it is not a painting - it's a small frameless window through which we can see a bit of the countryside. Then there's that diagonal "thing" at the bottom of the picture - what's that?! That's the back of our sofa, which stands in front of this corner. And last but not least, what time of day is this?? I'm intrigued by the mixture of daylight and artificial light at the moment (not just at the moment actually), which is a real challenge to paint. It is in the afternoon, all walls are white, but against the light from outside they look very dark. But then there's the light from the lamp shining onto them which lightens them again. I'm not totally satisfied with the outcome and I tell you, I don't know if this is really such a good idea...

4 comments:

Sand Hill Art said...

I will go on thinking it is a green painting, if you don't mind.
It bothers me not a bit that there is so much 'going on'. It looks cosy and warm.

Barbara Muir said...

I gravitate to this beauty. I am a big fan of spaces stuffed with things to look at -- absolutely useless at the spare look. I would love to have a house with that look for about a day, but I know what would happen -- objects, books, paintings would fill it in instantly. This is a marvellous painting. Is it a good idea? It's brilliant.

xoxoxoxoxoxBarbara

Liza Hirst said...

At last I get round to replying to your kind comments. Unfortunately I have been too busy with things much less enjoyable than painting and blogging. Anyway, a big belated "thank you" to both of you!
Sally, I certainly don't mind - that's the great thing about art, isn't it - it is very tolerant and let's everybody interpret it as they wish.
My dear Barbara, I can relate to that 100%! I do dream of empty, carefree spaces but have never managed to live in one. I am very pleased, you like my painting!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I like it very much and nothing bothers me about the angles. It;s interesting and I would love to sit down and light the menorah and have a lovely cordial :D
Beautifully done.