Friday, November 05, 2010

Odd Light in Marylebone

Odd Light in Marylebone by Liza Hirst

oil on canvas panel - Öl auf Malplatte - huile sur carton entoilé
15 cm x 15 cm / 5,9" x 5,9"
Sold - verkauft - vendu

Back from the big city! We had a great time, walked miles and miles and saw some wonderful art. Two exhibitions were especially impressive to me, which made me realize again how much I admire good abstract painting. One was "Paintings of the North Sea" by John Virtue in the Marlborough Gallery on Albemarle Street. The other, just across the street in the Belgravia Gallery, was "Cowboys" by Tricia Wylie . Unfortunately, the pictures you see on the web do not do the paintings justice - they were sooo good in the flesh!
We also met up with my fellow painter from the DP gallery Olha Pryymak! I very much enjoyed meeting her and was quite excited, because this was the first time I met somebody in reality whom I had only known from the net. As my younger son put it: Welcome to the 21st century, mom! She was lovely and we had a good chat about London and about art. I like her paintings a lot and was thrilled to meet her and her little son in person! Do have a look at her work, in which she captures the feeling of London so well.

It was the strange light that inspired me to paint this scene. Everything seemed unreal, like a stage set, especially because there was no other person on the street at that moment, while Marylebone in the centre of London is usually a very lively area.

8 comments:

Olha pryymak said...

Hi! Thank you for a positively wonderful mention. It was a great pleasure meeting you as well. I was wondering if I bump into you on Broadway Mkt on Saturday - it was particularly lively last weekend - with two bands playing there at the same time - on the opposite corners of the street. I hope it made enough impression on you to come back for more. Regardig the pinkish light - it's truly amazing , particularly around 4 pm here.

n warner said...

Happy to see and hear of two of my favorite daily artists' meeting in person....Stateside I can appreciate that you met and had a nice visit. I am still a few degrees of separation away, but I can appreciate hearing (and seeing) how beautiful or odd the light is, or how lively the Broadway market was! :-) Nina

Barbara Muir said...

This has such an English feeling. I just love it. Isn't it interesting how light changes from place to place?
Super work.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoBarbara

Ulrike Miesen-Schürmann said...

Yeah, that is the clean part of London with these crowds or chimneys O:-)

Liza Hirst said...

Hi Olha,
My pleasure!
We did actually go to Columbia street on Saturday and were going to continue to Broadway Mkt.
But then we realized that the flower market is on Sundays and thought that was also the case for the Broadway Mkt. What a shame! It would have been nice to meet you again. But we will definitely be coming back again - we enjoyed London so much!
See you then!

Liza Hirst said...

Thank you, Nina! I am so pleased I discovered your blog this way. Wow!
Such an interesting mixture of events and great photos that transmit the atmosphere. So, although I am also a few degrees of separation away, I got a good idea of L.A. and surroundings and will definitely look into your blog again! Thank you.

Liza Hirst said...

Hi Barbara, I am pleased you like it. Thank you for leaving your comment!
I am so behind but have followed your posts and LOVE your flower watercolour and your father's birches! I'll be in touch soon...
xxx Liza

Liza Hirst said...

Hi Ulrike,
We went all over the place - clean parts, dirty parts, suburbs, parks, countryside...
That's the great thing about London - there is everything!!!