Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Down to Earth

Down to Earth by Liza Hirst

oil on canvas panel - Öl auf Malplatte - huile sur carton entoilé
15 cm x 15 cm / 5,9" x 5,9"
Buy it here

I enjoyed painting this field. I had the feeling of nearly actually sculpting the soil and the grass - thus the title... For quite some time I have played with the idea of painting just soil, no grass, no sky, nothing else but thick chunks of soil, as you see them on the fields now. One of these days I'm going to tackle that challenge!

7 comments:

karin weber said...

I love this one, Liza. Karin

Brian Cameron said...

Liza- I am really enjoying thee little landscapes. Keep going!

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Liza,

I love this. Are the fields still green? I was driving by farmers' fields today etched in snow. The rough cut stubble of the already harvested crops making lines like this, and I thought about how romantic those lines were because huge construction vehicles are lined up along the road, getting ready to turn the farmland into housing developments. It makes me so sad.

Gorgeous painting.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxBarbara

Liza Hirst said...

Thank you, Karin!

Liza Hirst said...

Hi Brian, thank you for commenting so kindly. I am on my way to the South at the moment, so the landscapes are likely to change a bit, but I hope you will like them, too.

Liza Hirst said...

Hi Barbara,
Yes, the fields are green, but they are so again, after having been harvested during the summer (at least, I think so...).
There's quite a bit of building going on in this area, too, but surely nothing compared to Toronto. And here it's a good sign, inspite of it being mostly ugly, because that means young people are able to stay here and don't have to move to the big cities anymore for work.
Thank you for your comment!

Helen Read said...

I love the color and line! Nice painting!!