Monday, November 09, 2009

Repairs

Repairs by Liza Hirst

oil on canvas panel - Öl auf Malplatte - huile sur carton entoilé
15 cm x 15 cm / 5,9" x 5,9"
sold - verkauft - vendu

Why "repairs"? Well, this is an old teapot I have, which, in spite of it's missing lid, I love - not only for it's elegant shape but mainly for the little metallic spout it has. Somebody, a long time ago, went to the trouble of repairing this broken spout by attaching a new metal replacement. It looks odd, but it tells a story of caring, of valueing and of making an effort - instead of wasting, throwing out and consumimg. I really like that.

6 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Liza,

I love this painting and this story. I have quite a lot of repaired china, most of it not quite so successful -- and at least one former teapot without a lid that I love for the shape and use as a vase for flowers.

This beautiful piece of china would be right at home here.

xoxoxoxoxoxBarbara

Charles Pompilius said...

Hello Liza,
I like your paintings. The story about the teapot is moving.

Corinne Anderson said...

Hi Liza, the teapot painting is wonderful. There is a whole realm of collectables called 'make dos' that include all sorts of charming and creative repairs and repurposing. Teapots with metal handles, wooden and metal lids, etc etc. They all speak of a much loved history.

Corinne

Liza Hirst said...

Barbara, I wouldn't mind looking through your items - bet I'd find quite few I'd love! Pleased you like the painting! Thanks.

Liza Hirst said...

Hi Charles, thank you very much for your comment! I am pleased you like my paintings and can return that in regard to your own work - it is beautiful and quite amazing!

Liza Hirst said...

Thank you, Corinne! I will have look in the internet under "make dos" and see what comes up. Thanks for the tip - I didn't know that expression before.